David M. Mechanik, Shareholder
David Mechanik was admitted to the Florida Bar in 1977. He practices in the areas of land use, environmental, real estate transactions, governmental relations, local government law and government relations, including economic incentives. Mr. Mechanik is also a Certified Planner (AICP), as designated by the American Planning Association and a Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Court Mediator.
He represents both private and governmental clients in connection with the sale, acquisition, financing and development of real estate, including Developments of Regional Impact (DRI), comprehensive plan amendments, development agreements (including utility and annexation agreements), rezoning, historic preservation and environmental matters. He has also drafted numerous comprehensive plan text amendments and revisions to land development codes. Mr. Mechanik frequently appears before local, state and federal agencies and handles administrative hearings and litigation pertaining to these areas of practice.
He has served on several committees of the State of Florida Department of Community Affairs (now known as the Department of Economic Opportunity) which were created to develop rules pertaining to DRIs, including the drafting of the first DRI Transportation Rule.
Significant projects for which he has been involved include: International Plaza (Tampa), Pineapple Square (Sarasota), Tampa General Hospital (TGH) Rehabilitation Center and TGH Administrative Office Complex (Tampa), IKEA (Tampa), Le Jeune Center (Miami), Harbour Island (Tampa), Amalie Arena (Tampa), Murdock Village (Charlotte County), On Top of the World (Clearwater and Ocala), Highwoods Preserve and Highwoods Independence Park (Tampa), Crosstown Center (Hillsborough County), Hidden River (Tampa), Tampa Palms (Tampa); Sabal Park (Hillsborough County), Osceola Corporate Center (Osceola County), Cypress Creek (Pasco County), Pinellas Park (Pinellas), Gateway Center (Pinellas Park and St. Petersburg), Embassy Suites (Downtown Tampa), and Tampa Port Authority Cruise Ship Terminals and Channelside Shops (Tampa).
Mr. Mechanik is also active in community activities. He has served on the following boards and committees:
- Member of Super Bowl XXXV and XLIII Task Forces
- Chairman and member of the Tampa Sports Authority Board of Directors
- Founding member and Chairman of the Tampa Downtown Partnership; currently serves on its Executive Committee and Board of Directors
- Chairman of the Growth Management and Planning Implementation Councils; of the Greater Tampa Chamber of Commerce; currently co-chairs the Policy Council and member of the Board of Directors
- Vice-Chairman of the Hillsborough County Charter Review Board
- President of the Westshore Alliance; currently serves as an Ex Officio member of the Executive Committee and member of the Board of Directors
- City of Tampa Task Force which lured the Tampa Bay Lightning to downtown Tampa; involved in the land assemblage and financing for Amalie Arena
- Chairman and member of the Board of Directors of the Hillsborough County Regional Transit Authority (HART)
- President of Tampa Historic Streetcar, Inc.
- Hillsborough County Transportation Task Force
- Hillsborough County Economic Prosperity Committee